esplanade n : a long stretch of open level ground (paved or grassy) for walking beside the seashore
- Rhymes: -eɪd
An esplanade is a long, open, level area, usually next to a river or large body of water, where people may walk. This allows people to promenade along the sea front, usually for recreational purposes, whatever the state of the tide, without having to walk on the beach. Esplanades became popular in Victorian times when it was fashionable to visit seaside resorts.
The original meaning of esplanade was a large, open, level area outside fortress or city walls. Esplanade and promenade are sometimes used interchangeably, but that is a mistake. A promenade can be anywhere, and it is exclusively for walking, while an esplanade is for walking but also can include large boulevards or avenues with cars.
A similar term with the same meaning in hispanic world is rambla.
Examples of esplanades
- Gold Coast Oceanway, Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
- Eastern Beach, Victoria, Australia
- Calçadão de Copacabana and de Ipanema (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
- The Promenade, Brighton, England
- The Esplanade, in Weymouth, England
- La Promenade des Anglais, in Nice, France
- Tsim Sha Tsui East, Victoria Harbour in Hong Kong
- Marine Drive in Mumbai, India
- Gulf Street in Kuwait City, Kuwait
- The Promenade, Cobh, County Cork, Ireland
- Tel Aviv Promenade, in Tel Aviv, Israel
- Corniche Beirut, seaside promenade in Beirut, Lebanon
- Gurney Drive in Tanjung Tokong, Penang, Malaysia
- Esplanade in George Town, Penang, Malaysia
- Sliema Promenade, Sliema, Malta
- The Malecón (Mexican Spanish term for promenade) of Puerto Vallarta downtown and a small version of it in the marine, both in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- St. Clair Esplanade in Dunedin, New Zealand
- Marine Parade, in Napier, New Zealand
- Promenade at Rizal Boulevard, Dumaguete City, Philippines
- Baywalk, Manila, Philippines
- Mall of Asia Esplanade, Pasay City, Philippines
- The Esplanade, Kirkcaldy, Scotland
- The Esplanade, Singapore
- The Golden Mile, Durban, South Africa
- Sea Point, Cape Town, South Africa
- Kordon Yolu, İzmir, Turkey
- Breakwater Corniche or Al-Kasr in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- The Esplanade, Redondo Beach, California
- The Esplanade, Rio Del Mar, California, United States
- Third Street Promenade, Santa Monica, Los Angeles County, California, United States
- Brooklyn Promenade, Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn, New York, United States
- Rambla de Montevideo, Montevideo, Uruguay
- The Esplanade of the Ministries, in Brasilia, Brazil, which is surrounded by the Brazilian Ministries, the National Cathedral, Library, Museum and Theater, and the Brazilian Congress.
- Thames Embankment, in London, England
- The Esplanade Rishton, England
- Pohjois- and Etelä-Esplanadi in Helsinki, Finland
- Esplanade de La Défense is a subway station, situated below the esplanade of La Défense, Paris, France.
- The Danube Promenade in Budapest, Hungary.
- Esplanade, in Calcutta, India
- Esplanade, Chennai(previously known as Madras), in Chennai(Madras), India
- Sibu Esplanade, Rajang River, Sibu, Sarawak, Malaysia
- Edinburgh Castle Esplanade, Edinburgh, Scotland
- The Esplanade, Disneyland Resort, California, United States
- Charles River esplanade, in Boston, Massachusetts, United States
- The Eastbank Esplanade, in Portland, Oregon, United States
- The Promenade a high class shopping area in Saucon Valley, Pennsylvania, United States.
- The Esplanade is often the centermost street in Black Rock City, the temporary home of the Burning Man Festival, United States
See also riverwalk.
- Promenade on space station Deep Space 9 (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
- The Promenade area in Canal City, Planet Notak, in Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
- Riverfront Esplanade, a fictional New Jersey development, on The Sopranos TV show.
- The Promenade in Glen Oak, California on 7th Heaven TV show.
- Waukeen's Promenade, in the city of Athkatla, in the video game Baldur's Gate II.
- Chapter One of Camara Laye's The Radiance of the King.
esplanade in Danish: Esplanade
esplanade in German: Promenade
esplanade in Polish: Esplanada
esplanade in Portuguese: Calçadão
esplanade in Finnish: Kävelykatu
alameda, beaten path, beaten track, berm, bicycle path, billiard table, boardwalk, bowling green, bridle path, catwalk, dead flat, dead level, earth, fastwalk, flat, flatland, floor, foot pavement, footpath, footway, garden path, groove, ground, hiking trail, homaloid, horizontal, horizontal axis, horizontal fault, horizontal line, horizontal parallax, horizontal plane, horizontal projection, ledge, level, level line, level plane, mall, mean sea level, parade, parterre, path, pathway, plain, plane, platform, prado, prairie, promenade, public walk, run, runway, rut, sea level, sea of grass, sidewalk, steppe, table, terrace, towing path, towpath, track, trail, trottoir, walk, walkway, water level